Monday, September 13, 2010

Sept. 14th 2010

Nothing too exciting has happened the past week. I had planned on going on a hike this past weekend but it rained the whole weekend, so we had to cancel. I’m getting more and more settled in my school. I started my afterschool conversation class today, and it was a like pulling teeth. Students tend to think the Native Teachers class is a joke. It’s going to be a battle to get the kids to participate.

I don’t know why anyone would voluntarily live near the school they teach. Although it’s nice to be able to walk to work, I see my students and their families all the time. I was walking into my apartment building and I heard “teacher, teacher.” Apparently, one of my students is my neighbor. My coteacher also informed me that he was a “bad” student and that she was a little worried. I’m not I also ran into a student’s parents at the grocery store (they new who I was only because I’m American). They asked me if I new their child, and of course I lied and said I did. I don’t know how I’m expected to remember every one of my 600 students. I’m going to have a hard enough time learning my conversation student’s names.

My air conditioning finally got fixed last week. The mechanic came to my apartment and just started drilling holes in the floors and walls. Luckily, my landlord was there, so I didn’t worry too much. My air conditioning works now, so I guess they knew what they were doing. I have to admit, I’ve become that foreigner that just smiles and nods about everything. What else are you supposed to do?

I booked my vacation to for Chuseok (the Korean equivalent of Thanksgiving). I get off Sept 21st through the 26th, so we’re going to Busan-the second largest city in Korea. It’s on the coast, and is supposed to have nice beaches. Is it bad that I’m already looking forward to a vacation?

I start my Korean classes on Friday, which I’m really excited for. I also applied for a part time job, volunteer position, and public speaking class. I’m probably going get pretty busy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment